H202 and Cold Bath developers

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 14:40:05 /etc/localtime

Hi to all,

Just started my PD printing - using a B&S cold bath developer ( I thought I
preferred a warm tone, which contrary to it name, the cold bath developer
provides). Several questions have come up - most having to do with my lack
of experience in assessing the resulting prints.

I prepared one print with a normal contrast mixture and in retrospect it
seems to be quit good. I subsequently introduced hydrogen peroxide to the
coating and the resulting prints seemed to lack contrast, which is contrary
to what was expected. In addition, the 4 4X5 prints made with 2 drops of
H202 seem to have a mottled look that wasn't present in the original test.
Although one of the 4 looked ok in that respect, but still lacked the
desired contrast. I am printing on Cranes Platinotype - is there a correct
side to print on? I couldn't find a difference.

Has anyone had any experience with the cold bath developer - should I expect
an almost white highlight or will they always be sepia like?

I haven't tried to print with a variation in the coating for contrast -
that's next.

As you can see, I still trying to get my hands around the basic. I think I
in the ballpark.

By the way, I am using digitally prepared negs on Epson Back Light film and
have found that the resemblance to continuous tone is remarkable. The negs
are waxed with paraffin and I am using the sun at mid day in northern
California with a 4 minute exposure.

Many thanks,

Nick