Re: The Woodburytype process

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 20:19:44 /etc/localtime

Twas I.

In fact I also suggested that a UV curing resin might work and did some
research with materials science people.

Follow this.

One of the problems in UV curing resins is shrinkage. More light = more
shrinkage. Ther trick is not to make it shrink. Shrinkage is what we want.

As for casting I tried it and the resins melt the gelatin. At least the
ones I tried. Your best bet to try is that seaweed white stuff used to make
face casts etc. It does not heat up when it cures. Tri-Ess in Burbank Ca.
carries it. It's soft and rubber so you'd need to make a harder second
generation cast from it from some other material. Dental castings are
within a micron.

--Dick Sullivan

t 08:46 AM 12/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Pollmeier Klaus wrote:
>
> > harden and dry. You will then need lead plates ca. 3/4 to 1 cm thick. With
> > a press, that provides a pressure of ca. 500 kg per square centimeter, you
> > now press the relief into the lead.
>
>This is true if you restrict yourself to 19th century equipment and
>materials. However, someone on this list mentioned replacing the lead
>plates with a plastic casting resin. I don't remember who said that, but
>I thought is was a very clever idea. I don't suppose that the person who
>offered that idea is still here and would like to comment further?
>
>- Wayde
> (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com