Digital success

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 00:27:01 /etc/localtime

Hello all,

A little followup on my PT/PD progress with digital negs from an Epson 1520.

I have been making 4X5 test prints using the sun a a light source and I have
finally found the cure for the flat images I was experiencing early on. It
turns out that the 'action' I was using in photoshop had already applied a
curve to the image. I subsequently applied the nocolrpt.crv file from Dan
B's book/CD which was the fatal step.

In fact if I had applied the curve without applying the photoshop 'action'
the results would have been similar. The 'action' is one supplied to me by
the a leader of a Photoshop seminar that I took in October. It automates
the conversion of a perfect looking RGB image to a grayscale image via the
LAB color mode. At the very end it applies a curve, which as I now look at
the various images I have been working on, is perfect for the PT/PD type of
negative.

Mind you, a week ago, I couldn't have said perfect because I had never made
what I consider a good print. Today I printed several images and finally
came within a half stop of a wonderful image (dried). When the print dries,
I think the number of stops that it darkens is much greater than I had
originally thought. From the first clearing tray to the completly dry
print, I have to guess at least two stops, maybe more?

So, relative to success, I have found that the prints I am able to make with
the Epson negs are quite qood - however, they fall short of continuous tone
at this point. I'm not sure, but I recall some earlier positive images that
were nearer to continuous tone than the negs I'm using. It could be the
contrast generated by the curve in the above referenced 'action' - I'll be
checking this very carefully.

If I miss my guess, I will ultimately be creating my iimages via Light Jet
negs.

Many thanks for all your help,

Nick