RE: Daguerrotype development

From: ken (watsok@frii.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 17:37:24 /etc/localtime

Just a guess: From reading some older books around the change over from wet
plate to dry plate/ modern photography ( here goes my memory) the
developers for the early processes are much more active than the more modern
ones. After all there is a lot more silver around, especially on a Dag
plate that IS silver plated. Of course books and memories have made
mistakes in the past, why not try it!

All you need is to silver plate some copper ( get it from the hardware
store, use the Hypo bath as a plating solution)Buy a silver coin for $8.00.
polish the plate
expose to Iodine crystals for a while , then Bromine gas if you can find
it(optional), Expose for 30 Sec and develop.

Not to worry about safe light I think any color to the red side of yellow is
invisible to the process.
Actually there are claims the Dag will develop itself if just placed in
sunlight covered with a red filter over it. I is claimed to take a while
though but, if true, one can watch it develop.