Light Jet Test

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 14:32:28 /etc/localtime

Hello All,

I am preparing a test of the Light Jet 5000 and the some of the images I am
working with in Photoshop. The basis for this test is not so scientific as
some of the methods I read about here on the list - in fact, the success of
the test will be determined by whether on not I like the results. As you
may know, this approach could hardly be called objective.

Some of you have asked if I would post my procedure for sending out an image
for Light Jet output - I have none, since I have never sent an image
previously.

The reason I am making this post is to get your input to the procedure I
plan to use for the test - on the surface this seams relatively simple.

I plan to take 8 images from 4X5 to 8X10 and a 21 step gradient, place them
on a 24X24 canvas and output them as an uncompressed TIF file. Only two of
these images have ever been printed as a PT/PD. Those results are also,
somewhat subjective - I really have very little experience to draw on for
making a determination of how good/bad they are. All I know is, "I like
them", they are as sharp as you could ask for and have exactly the color,
contrast and density that I envisioned when I set about on this project. I
know there is more to than that, which, as I said, is why I'm making this
post.

There is a normal 8SF minimum for an order of Light Jet and a 4SF minimum
for a first time test. I'm including previously unprinted images in the
test because, 1) I have no need for a 24X24 single image and, 2) if the test
is successful, I may have obtained several negatives as a windfall.

My limited success with PT/PD prints from the inkjet negs, seems to stand in
opposition to much of the scientific rhetoric on digital printing
techniques. In other words, the application of curves for specific kinds
of output/applications seemed to have little value of the resulting images.
By example, the most successful image I have printed thus far has be created
from an Epson Neg with no special digital processing associated - I simply
made it look like what I wanted to see (on screen), inverted to negative and
flipped it horizontally. No curve applied and a normal mix of drops when
preparing the emulsion (for the lack of a better reference). On the other
hand, perhaps some tweaking with levels to assure that there were no all
black and no all white areas, had impact here.

An appropriate analogy might be as follows:

Everyone reading this post has made a silver gelatin print and knows how
much latitude there is in getting results and that those results can be a
compromise, depending on what you started with. I'm finding there is nearly
that much latitude in the PT/PD process.

The images I plan to send will be created so that there are no all
black/white areas - I believe they will print quite satisfactorily.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I will welcome your input to this
understanding and to my upcoming test. I will post the results of the test.

Many thanks,

Nick