Re: Liquid Gelatine

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 08:06:29 /etc/localtime

> Yes, liquid at room temperature. "Normal" gelatine (Knox, etc.) comes from
> mammal bones (typically cows I believe) and gels at something like about 30
> to 35 deg. C. Norland's "HiPure" gelatine is derived from coldwater fish
> skin (processing plant near fisheries in Nova Scotia). It is deionized
> during processing and gels at 5 to 10 deg. C.
>
> I haven't gotten my sample yet, so I don't know quite what it will be like.
> They say it is 45% solids in water, so it sounds fairly thick. I suspect
> it will need some thinning with water in order to make a solution which
> will easily drain off of paper from a dunk bath. Or it may make more sense
> to try to coat it on with a brush or the like. What I haven't figured out
> is: If its gel point is below room temperature, will it disolve into the
> water of a glyoxal bath when I attempt to harden it? Thus the thought of
> adding glyoxal to the gelatine before placing it on the paper.

Well, Garet, I have accused others of the "seems-logical-disease" in gum,
that is, making a supposition & then putting it into print before testing,
whereupon it perpetuates error through the ages -- so it is with some
misgivings that I say, I can't figure out how you can size paper with
gelatin that's liquid at room temperature. You count on hardening it
enough with glyoxal for it to stay on the paper? Doesn't seem likely from
here, what with global warming & all. But we wait on tenterhooks,

Judy