Re: $70 for a friggn' 4x5 neg? You gotta be kidding!

From: ben.blaze (ben.blaze@eudoramail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 14:44:00 /etc/localtime

>I always imagined that if you have 300 lines you also have 300 dots / inch in
>that direction.
>
>Could you help me to understand it better?

Hi Joao,
There are various things referred to as "resolution". In this case, you
are confusing "imagesetter resolution" - (dots/inch) with "printing
resolution" - (lines/inch).

In brief - "printing resolution" is a GRID on which various size printing
dots are distributed.

For newspapers it is between 55 and 85 lines per inch, for magazines
between 133 and 175 lines per inch. Some very fine publications are
printed with 300 lines per inch screens, but at this resolution
traditional printing process is reaching it's limits.

"Imagesetter resolution" is a number of dots per inch that imagesetter
can generate to BUILD VARIOUS SIZE PRINTING DOTS that are distributed on
the "printing resolution" grid.

Typically it is at least 2400 dots per inch for imagesetter, 300 to 1200
dots for laser printer, etc.

The higher the number (smaller size dot) the smoother and more regular
shape of the printing dot (usually elliptical or round).

(Note, there are other methods of printing (inkjet printers, stochastic
screens) that are using "randomly" distributed clusters of dots of the
same size or combination of randomnes with variable dot size etc, etc,
which may further confuse terminology)

Ben