Re: Dissolving selenium powder in Sodium Sulfite

From: Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 07:55:59 /etc/localtime

> Well, the lab boiling flask I use keeps jumping on the stove due to the
> large air pockets that 'pop' out every now and then. I'll try to get a lab
> stand and clamp to keep things down. I'll also try boiling for far longer
> next time.

Oh one more thing, Tan

When I prepaired the T55 I used a magnetic stirrer/heater, and the
solution was in a erlenmeyer, so during boiling the solution was cont.
stirred, maybe that is why I had more luck in soluting the selenium (which
was a very old jar, the powder was deep black)

A ps.

I have been wondering why there is fixer in the Kodak selenium toner for a
long time. I think Liam gave the clue by the quote from Clerc where it is
mentioned that adding hypo to the selenium toner can prevent highlight
stain of this toner on prints (POP?).