Re: Dissolving selenium powder in Sodium Sulfite

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 02:54:53 /etc/localtime

At 06:01 PM 12/15/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Tan, you asked if anyone had done it.... I did and seemed not to have any
>problems, other than fear for my life, since so much is made of the danger
>of selenium. I boiled it in a narrow-mouthed flask, and it went into
>solution in a minute or two. One difference I suspect is that my formula
>has much less selenium. I suspect yours may have too much.
>
>Here are the formulas I have, and which, incidentally were reprinted on
>page 27 of Post-Factory Issue #3 (along with a dozens of others!).
>
>T-55 is a DIRECT TONER
>
>Dissolve 25 g sodium sulfite anydrous in 100 ml hot water. Add 1 (ONE) g
>selenium powder and boil til dissolved. Cool
>Add 31 g ammonium chloride, stir.
>Add 67 ml water.
>For use, dilute from 1 to 5 to 1 to 9 with water.
>
>T-56 is bleach & redevelop, AND has sodium sulfide (with a d,) instead of
>the sulfite), and the sulfide (I have read) aids dissolving of the
>selenium, maybe it's that powerful smell.
>
>Dissolve 25 g sodium sulfide in 100 ml water. Warm solution. Add 5 g
>selenium powder, boil til selenium is dissoved. For use dilute 1:20 in
>water. Use as redeveloper after ferricyanide bleach. Etc. Etc., Etc, with
>various variations. If whites stain, a few drops of ammonia in working
>solution is said to clear. I didn't have any staining. (Probably the
>exquisite NYC water, or possibly the lesser amount of selenium.)
>
>Apparently this disagrees with Liam's notes from very authoritative
>sources, sorry I don't remember where mine are from. If it matters I might
>be able to look them up -- but they surely toned & beautifully. It's also
>possible that my selenium is a different sort -- bought it 20 years ago...
>and who knows if it's still any good. But it was already very dark brown,
>nearly black.
>
>cheers,
>
>Judy
>| Judy Seigel, Editor >
>| World Journal of Post-Factory Photography > "HOW-TO and WHY"
>| info@post-factory.org >
>| <http://rmp.opusis.com/postfactory/postfactory.html>
>

>On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Kah Heng, Tan wrote:
>
>> Liam
>>
>> I'll try your altered formula for the the next batch.
>>
>> I really hate to see all that stuff go to waste in a paper filter. Just
>> costs too much!
>>
>> I bought 100g of the stuff for about $35
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tan.

  FWIW, elemental Selenium, sometimes called Selenium dust is a dark brown
to black color. Sodium Selenite, the substance used in Kodak Rapid Selenium
Toner is a white or off-white crystaline or powder. It comes as in both a
pentahydrate or anhydrous form.
  Selenium and its compounds are very toxic. Chronic exposure is more
dangerous than acute exposure. The powder is easily airborne and is
dangerous to breathe.
  In liquid form, as in a mixed toner, its a lot less dangerous.
  Somewhere Mees mentions a couple of patents for Selenium toner with
ammonium thiosulfate in them. That sounds like the basis for KRST, which
contains Ammonium thiosulfate, sodium sulfite, and sodium selenite.
  You can find MSDS for all this stuff on the SIRI web page at
http://hazard.com

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.