Re: Silver remaining in rinse water

From: Gary Wagner (gcwagner@inreach.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 01:05:30 /etc/localtime

Hello,
Kodak has lots of information on silver recovery. As for rinse water if the
print is fixed correctly there is probably less than the 5PPM federal limit
in the rinse water. You could take a composite sample of your typical wash
water and have it tested by a local lab. This would cost about $35.00 and
give you more accurate information on your water. Treatment for the removal
of silver in wash water can be done using steel wool canisters but this may
require some type of pumping station to regulate the flow of liquid. These
canisters can remove up to 90% of the silver when they are new and cost
about $150 per can plus disposal. The real question is why to treat. Most
low volume generators are not a concern of a local waste water treatment
facilities. If you want to be environmentally sensitive which I think is a
very good idea have the tests done and see what your real needs are. Check
with the state and city epa to find out what type of regulations they have
also.
Gary