Re: Maintaining contact.

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 12:17:49 /etc/localtime

Darlington Media Group wrote:
> ... I'm having trouble with small 'soft spots' on printing 20x8 inch
> pd/pt prints. I'm sandwiching the negative and sensitised paper (Arches
> platine) between two sheets of quarter plate glass and using the
> traditional pd develop out process ie. the paper is dry.
>
> Would a thin sheet of foam or rubber under the negative help? How about
> edge clips?

Tony,

I have made and used a similar type of contact frame constructed top to
bottom as follows:
Two strips of 3/4 inch plywood, size = 2 inches by length of glass
Plate Glass - thick enough (depending on size) to not flex much (1/4
inch may be fine), and larger than negative (at least 6 inches wider in
width)
Negative
coated paper
Black Vinyl (Naugahide, from fabric store)
1/8 inch foam sheet (or thinner, any kind - but soft, from fabric store)
Plywood - thick enough to not flex (3/4 " should work)

Assemble everything on the glass, then turn over, then place wood strips
along sides, then clamp with several spring clamps every 8 to 10 inches
(Clamps are easiest to attach when end is hanging over edge of table).
Apply some pressure to the glass with the palm in several places to make
sure everything is seated.

This makes a great temporary or low usage frame as it does take longer
to load than something similar to a Century frame. For higher usage
copy the design of the Century frames in a wood like maple and use the
same black vinyl and foam sheet.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/