Re: Sepia toner colors

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 14:39:12 /etc/localtime

At 23:26 12/24/99 -0500, Sam Wang wrote:
>Why is sepia toned prints sometimes more reddish, and other times more,
>well, sepia? The difference happens with the same paper. I know the print
>density makes some difference, but what else? Is it controllable?

There is a definitive explanation of brown toners in the 1950 "American
Photography Annual" titled "A Study in Brown Toners" by Sil Horwitz. Your
library may have this, or possibly can get it on library loan for you.
Except for the papers named, not much has changed, especially not the
theory. This was the result of a research project.

Happy Holidays!

<<sil>>
Technical Editor, PSA Journal