Re: Sepia toner colors

From: Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 15:53:20 /etc/localtime

In a message dated 12/24/1999 23:28:27, you wrote:

<<Why is sepia toned prints sometimes more reddish, and other times
more, well, sepia? The difference happens with the same paper. I know
the print density makes some difference, but what else? Is it
controllable?

Sam Wang>>

Hi Sam,

I've noticed that the time of immersion in the bleach bath affects the color.
 Longer times seem to shift the color more to the yellow end. I don't care
too much for sepia toner so I haven't had too much experience with it. But,
when I do use it, I usually only bleach the print for about 30 seconds, the
point at which I notice the highlights initially bleach. (Kodak OTOH
recommends bleacing for around 7 minutes until the entire image has all but
disappeared.) This warms the print to a reddish brown rather than yellow. I
follow the rest of the Kodak directions (rinse, toning bath, wash) with this
procedure.

Another nice toner is EK Polytoner, a selenium-sulphide combo apparently.
Varying the dilution and time of that toner produces a range of colors.
Highly dilute solutions and longer times gives what has been described as a
"French Vanilla color."

Joe