RE: Trisodium phosphate

From: erobkin@uwc.edu
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 17:14:40 /etc/localtime

The products most commonly sold these days under the label TSP have no
trisodium phosphate in them. If you read the labels you will find that they
say phosphate free. Some smaller paint stores around here at least still
have the real stuff but is is getting very hard to find.

This is a guess but I suspect that the current TSP products actually have
metasilicates and carbonates.

Phosphate is an important material for the growth of aquatic plants that is
usually in short supply in nature and there has been a concerted effort to
remove it from all products to control unwanted plants in the waterways as
the treated drain waters reach them.

What is the alt application for this?

This applies only to the USA, I have no idea what is going on elswhere with
respect to phosphate control.

ER