Re: Sepia toner colors

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 18:39:59 /etc/localtime

Sam, In my toning experience, as others have mentioned many out comes
are possible. With the Kodak Sepia toner on a multi grade paper, one
must leave the print in the bleach for quite a while to bleach the
image. i have been using a formula found in the 'Darkroom Cookbook'. It
increases the amount of Pot Ferri by quite a bit. It will bleach a multi
grade paper to completion in 30 sec. to 1 minute. type of developer and
length of time seems to alter color some as does amount of time that you
wash in between toning bath. I have also notice quite a change in image
color based upon number of prints that have run through the toning bath
and all of the baths temps.

I use only distilled water to make toning baths as well. You may be
seeing a color change from a change of water as well.

And yes, selenium toning works well after sepia ( but don't do selenium
then sepia).

I use a very dilute bleach for only hints of color, and depending on what
color I am after I tone with selenium to alter some papers more red.

Happy Holidays

EJ Neilsen

--
Eric J. Neilsen