Re: Drying Vellum

FotoDave@aol.com
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:10:02 -0500 (EST)

> After it had dried a bit, I taped it to
> the glass using drafting tape so that it was perfectly flat. However, the
> drafting tape started to unstick after a bit and the edges of the print got
> crinklier . I then taped closer to the print image.

Hi David,

You didn't say whether the tape unstuck from the print or from the glass.
Drafting tape doesn't stick well to wet thing, so I think it unstuck from the
print. If you changed to gummed tape, it will stick better to the print, but
it won't stick well to the glass because the glass is so smooth.

What you can do is to use gummed tape and tape the print to a board (triplex
would work fine, or any cheap but flat wooden board that you can get from
hardware store). I borrowed this method from my brush painting mounting and
have used this system for my paintings on rice paper and for gum prints. Last
Sunday I visited the printmaking studio of University of Michigan in Ann
Arbor and found that they were also using the same system. It gives perfectly
flat prints.

Dave S