Re: Drying Vellum

Charlotte Gabriele (cgabriele@earthlink.net)
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:04:41 -0500

Boy, I've been on this list for years and have never felt courageous enough to
answer anything and now I'm just typing away. However, I've printed on very
thin onion skin and other thin paper many times (although not specifically
vellum). Here's what I do
(but it takes a lot of time and patience): while the paper is still very wet I
hang it up to dry for a while. When it starts to feel
moist but not saturated I turn the paper upside down and hang again. Then when
it feel almost dry I take it out and lay it on the counter. Again when it's
almost dry but not quite (but really very close to dry) I turn it image side
down on a clean counter (no
paper or anything underneath) and put large, flat books with smooth non-paper
covers on top. (What I use is many children's encyclopedias.) Every half hour
I change the position of the paper and the books which are on top (in case they
have absorbed moisture. After about two hours, I only change the paper every
six hours or so. As I mentioned before, it takes quite a lot of
time and patience - I usually do this as I'm working on something else. Every
other method I tried left little wrinkles or buckled
at the edges, etc... I hope someone else is less obsessive and has an easier
answer.