Re: copywrite on net.

Campos & Davis Photos (photos@campos-davis.co.uk)
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 13:17:44 +0000

You have the right idea in the USA. In UK a photographer is not entitled to
punitive damages for infringement of his copyright. That is, you can only
charge what you would have charged for the reproduction in the first place
had the company sought your permission. A good defence barrister would
argue that the "going rate" for reproduction of a photo would be an amount
of money that would be payable throughout the publishing industry. No
damages would be awarded. As you can imagine this stinks and means that no
only do you have to find people who steal your work, when you have done so
you can only claim an amount of money which a court would consider the
industry standard payment. Because infringement of copyright is a criminal
offence in the UK, not a civil one, the threat of private criminal action
usually has the right effect on getting someone to pay up. The police,
however, are not interested in prosecuting so there has, to my knowledge,
never actually been a case brought to court.
The photographic community do not have themselves to thank for this
situation, which is much clearer now than before the 1989 copyright act, but
it was only the idea of music being pirated that made the artists copyright
society seek chances to the law which have benefited us.

Campos & Davis Photos
6 Cranbourne Road
London N10 2BT - UK
Tel: + 44 181 883 8638