Re: Densitomiters

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:41:30 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Steve Shapiro wrote:

> > Why read a negative more than once? Why not make a note of significant
> > areas, d-max, d-min, important "story" areas, & so forth, write on a piece
> > of paper and tape to the sleeve?
> >
> > But PS: Scratches add character.
> >
> > Judy
> >
> Now, you're getting complicated. You teach getting an additional piece of
> paper, tape (which only recently became availale in an acid neutral
> material; which I have't yet found on any shelves/stores locally) Your
> method has me acting like Calilila moving my arms in eight directions at
> once.

As you say, Steve, California is behind the times in many respects: acid-
free tape has been on the market for at least 30 years, and I daresay
Light Impressions will ship to California if you fill out the appropriate
customs forms. Not to mention that on the *outside* of a sleeve, I don't
worry about acid-free anyway, although I expect someone to explain that
the acid migrates, permeates & osmoses.

> I merely said - in the tradition of making simple photography complicated -
> my densitometer doens not gather dust, because I use it as a routine to
> produce good proofs at 1:1 paper tries to paper with image saved.

Nor can I agree that reading negatives with a densitometer makes simple
photography complicated: the act is simplicity itself and adds 50 points
to any photographer's IQ with the first drop (as you well know).

However, Dave was not alone in assuming you did the readings through the
acetate -- or polyester, or mylar, or whatever. I believe the readings
would remain *relatively* correct, although not *absolutely* correct, and
will add that I know a famous name or two who have in fact pursued that
path to simplicity -- that is, read their negs through the sleeve.

Best,

Judy