Re: LEATHER BELLOWS

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 01:53:47 -0800

At 09:26 PM 11/24/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>>DEAR RICHARD,
>> Thanks for your response and great information. I am hoping that the
>>perosn who posted the specific info on leather bellows will pick up on my
>>request,,,there were so many recommendations of bellows manufacturers on
>>that thread I couldn't organize them all.
>> For the ol' Kodak #2 I'll hold out for leather. I use mostly modern
>>equipment but when I am restoring something like this, part of the enjoyment
>>is the beauty of the original materials.
>> Thanks again.
>> And I hope the person who posted the specific source of leather bellows
>>is reading this.
>> CHEERS!
>> BOB KISS
>
>If you find anyone willing to make a leather bellows, post their info. I
>contacted all the bellows people I could find to get a red leather bellows
>for an old # 10 cirkut. No one would do it. I ended up getting a regular
>one. The bellows makers said the material was hard to get at the right
>thickness and there just isn't enough demand. Let us know if you have
>better luck. Jamie

   An English outfit was mentioned in response to a query in the
rec.photo.large-format group. I didn't note who it was. My memory is that
they specifically would make leather bellows.
  BTW, RED leather comes from so-called Russia leather was made by curing
with Birch or Oak and rubbing the flesh side with Birch oil. The resulting
leather was supposed to be repellant to insects and resistant to mildew. It
was used on tropical cameras and became a mark of a deluxe model camera.
Russia leather was typically a dark brick red in color.
  A number of view cameras made in the thirties throught the fifties
featured leather dyed red simply for cosmetic purposes. Kodak 2D's, Burke &
James and "deluxe" Agfa-Ansco cameras came with red bellows.
  The leather must be quite thin if the bellows are to fold up compactly. I
don't know of a good source although I used to see leather that looked thin
enough at the local Tandy place before it closed up. Very old books which
have instructions for bellows making refer to "skiver" which is very thin
(and cheap) leather, and bookbinder's leather. I should think the latter
should still be abvailable.
  A note: Not all busineses are better run over the internet. Leather
tailings and findings is one of them; you really need to get your hands on
the stuff. I think Tandy goofed big time by closing their stores.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com