Re: RC negatives - stripping paper

Kallitype (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 10:02:57 -0700

Lee, Jonathan wrote:

> A 5N (normal) NaOH is 200g/liter sodium hydroxide. A 50% solution is
> 500g/liter. Provided that it is kept sealed, there should be no problem
> using this solution more or les indefinietly. Wear gloves and eye
> protection, lab coat if you have it. As NaOH solutions go, a 5N isn't that
> nasty or odorous but can cause skin burns.
>
> Jonathan Lee

8888888888888888888888888888888888888111111111111111111

wear eye protection!! WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! Rubber dishwasher
gloves will be fine, but fer sure: wear goggles or
safety glasses with "side shields"!! Many years ago I was a research
lab manager, and had to deal with a person who got just a "teeny
splatter" of 2N NaOH in the eye. It was a very unpleasant experience
for all concerned. THis was back in the 1960's when we pipetted serum,
acids, and other noxious stuff by mouth! We learned from this.

   If I had to choose, I would handle this stuff bare-handed and pipet
by mouth rather than skip the eye protection. 'Nuff said!