Re: Carbro

Tod Gangler (artandsoul@mindspring.com)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 11:50:32 -0700

In a recent discussion about using Fine Grain Positive film for Carbro
printing Sandy King inquired:

>However I don't understand what you
>mean by a "better response curve (tonal curve)! Do you mean that it is
>different shape than a silver curve, or that you get better take-off?

Both.

While the tones of both film and photo enlarging paper can be graphed as
"silver curves," the paper's curve will show a longer, less steep shape in
both the toe and shoulder areas than the film's curve. Toe and shoulder on
the film are shorter and steeper, representing the film's better contrast
and tone separation in highlights and shadows, compared to the paper. This
helps a lot in reproducing these troublesome tonal areas in a carbro print.

I also thought that the film did give a better "take-off" than the paper
for carbro printing. Some of that could have been due to the sensitizer
recipe rather than the film itself? Don't know for sure. I'm still
looking for the recipe I used. The main ingredient was Chromic Acid. I
remember finding the recipe listed as a variation in one of the old books,
but don't remember which one, sorry.

Regards,

Tod Gangler
Seattle, WA.