Re: intensifying negs

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:40:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, David J. Romano wrote:

> What are some experiences that you've all had with intensifying
> negatives? I've had much better luck with silver intensifier than
> chromium. How much increase in density range can be expected? What about
>
> increased graininess? I shoot Agfa APX 400 and develop it in HC-110. I
> have some nice negs that were made for regular silver paper that I'd
> like to print on palladium.

I've had bad luck with silver intensifiers, but there are apparently many
formulas... what's yours?

Chromium usually did increase grain, tho I found the greatest increase in
RANGE was chromium followed by selenium. Just selenium alone, 1 to 3,
picked up contrast & range with no apparent increase in grain in the film
I was using. A copper bleach and redevelop usually intensifies a LOT, tho
I've only used it on paper, not film.

I understand, however, that pyro bleach & redevelop is a good way to
change a silver printer neg to an alt printer neg. Maybe someone else can
amplify.

Judy