Re: Preparation of Ferric Oxalate Powder

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:18:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> Actually you were told incorrectly. The only portions of my web site
> that request a password are about half of the sections only within the
> Guide to Platinum Palladium Photographic Printmaking.
> >
> Now I understand that this *may* be a waste of your time. But, for the
> time it took you to write your post, you could have linked to the Title
> Page of the Guide, then to the Table of Contents, then to the
> Preparation of Ferric Oxalate Powder in Chapter 4, ALL WITHOUT THE USE
> OF ANY PASSWORD WHATSOEVER. All the information on Vicente's procedure
> and test results and notes do not need the password.

First, it takes me at least 5 minutes on another server to get to ANY
website. On this server I use only z-term, which connects in 15 seconds.
And that doesn't count time waiting for download. If I got a faster
system, aside from all the rest of it, cost would exceed $24.

As for the virtues of this particular web site in this particular
situation -- here's the information I received from United Nations
Observer forces:

Password protected sections:

Chemistry 3 out of 8
Coating 7 out of 7
Exposure 3 out of 3
Processing 3 out of 3

One of the unprotected sections is the process formulas. The first line
(and many of the rest) is absolutely wrong.
The correct formulas are free, and no password, on Mike Ware's site.

The process requires the evaporation and absorption of 116.9 gms of nitric
acid. This must be dried in the dark. There is no safe way to accomplish
this for the typical alt photo practitioner. The same issues as making
aqua regia, except that the fumes are encouraged. Also, soaking up the
acid in paper towels is not a great idea.

Read section 7 - this decanting takes 340 hours (with acid fumes present),
but maybe 10-100 times longer. A centrifuge can help. I can just imagine
this beaker of nitric acid being flung around in a darkroom.

This procedure is referenced in Dick Stevens book. It's one of the
procedures he does *not* recommend - the others are safer and easier.

It also will not produce as good of a grade of FO as the other Stevens
process. Even the RS procedure (free, on the B&S website, no password) is
safer, easier, and will produce a more pure FO. Much more pure.

I don't even WANT to know the ins and outs of the merits here... but I
can't help wondering why this was not mentioned when I was being raked
over the coals by Mr. Sullivan and tuttutted by PhDs in chemistry from
here to Madagascar for a thimble full of aqua regia in gold chloride being
so DUMB DUMB DUMB !!! (Maybe it's just off-limits to gurls ?!)

As for the virtues of print media, they are many and lasting. But I have
to expend my virtue in another direction now, visiting a sick relative.
(To be continued.)

Judy