Re: I HAD MY DOUBTS...!!!!

Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 09:37:12 -0500

James,

 I need a little background as to what you mean by sepia-toned, this is
a serious reply. What, more or less, exactly are you trying to
accomplish, what are your skills in the areas of darkroom and chemistry,
and what is your budget like...the processes range widely in complexity
and costs. There was a recent thread (postings) that dealt with this
concept.

Any of a great number of the alt-photo-processes will produce a sepia
color in the final product. Argyrotype, Van Dyke, Palladium,
Platinum/Palladium, Gum Bichromate (with appropriate colored pigment),
and even cyanotype (toned from its natural blue color). In other words,
there isn't just one or even two.

For a basic book look for New Dimensions in Photo Imaging : A
Step-By-Step Manual, by Laura Blacklow
It's ok for a start, shows the basics and describes the different
processes.

There are no papers available, per se, which render this coloration by
itself. There are no pre-coated papers, except for Palladio--a platinum
process. It's very expensive, by my standards.
------
Also, on another note. Your message is heavily formatted in html (web
formatting). Many email readers don't handle this type of message, it
shows up as garbage on the computer screen. Turn of this formatting
feature and submit plain (ascii) text. I know about this, as I was an
offender in the past.

good luck

--
Darryl Baird