Re: Adobe vs. Corel

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 18:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Dennis Southwood wrote:

> Do any of you have an opinion on the relative merits of Adobe Photoshop and
> Corel Photo-paint? I could buy the full Corel Draw 9 suite for less than
> the cost of Adobe Photoshop 5.5 alone. Should I? Would you?

The best advice I didn't take was get a program that your closest friend
who's an expert uses. The manuals are pathetic, and the time you spend
trying to learn the program...well, unless you're looking for a hobby, the
more expensive program can be an economy if you can get better help using
it.

Also, what is the destination of the work. If you're taking it to a
printer, check what they like. For instance I got Pagemaker for page
layout because it happens to be a MUCH BETTER PROGRAM for my purposes --
but my printer's desktop people bitch & moan about it... basically because
they don't know how to use it, they know Quark.

These issues can amount to more than whatever differences between the
programs themselves, in my experience.

Judy