Re: tube processing

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 18:16:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Witho Worms & Jorien van Santen wrote:

snip %<

> I don't like to develop by tray because I don't like developers on my hands
> and I can't feel the negatives good with gloves.

I now wear gloves whenever possible and, I suspect because of my
reduced exposure to chemicals, my hands no longer crack and bleed when
I get them near photographic chemistry.

If you do go in search of gloves make sure that you purchase gloves
which are NOT lubricated. Medical gloves made for examination are
often coated lighty with greasy lubricants or powders which will get
all over your negatives (very messy). I speak from experience as I
have a case of lubricated gloves purchased some years ago. FWIW
examination gloves are not always advertised as lubricated - you have
to ask.

-greg schmitz

"The further the technical mechanism develops which allows us to
escape natural necessity, the more we are subjected to artificial
technical necessities."

                         Jacques Ellul
                         THE TECHNOLOGICAL SOCIETY (1964)