Re: jobo 4x5 film reel

FotoDave@aol.com
Sat, 09 Oct 1999 00:00:49 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/8/99 10:31:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jseigel@panix.com writes:

> .... I'm curious about
> one thing. The instructions that came with mine say theoretically it takes
> 6 sheets but for optimum results only load 4.
>
> That was bought maybe 10 or more years ago, so models may have improved by
> now -- do you suppose?

Hi Judy,

Yes I believe the model has improved because I had also read the instruction
about loading only 4 sheets, so I called Jobo (local call btw since they are
in Michigan) and asked them. They asked me about the model number and said
"oh, you have the new model." I then specifically asked them if it was ok for
me to load 6 sheets. They said sure, no problem.

> (Or maybe the fellow who loads 6 sheets in complete
> darkness without a problem has other special powers on tap?)

I learned it the hard way. Since I didn't get the loader, I didn't know how
to load the film, especially the V-shape thing. I called Jobo, but things
like these are hard to describe over the phone, so I tried different ways and
finally it worked; but who knows, maybe I have been loading the film wrongly
for 3-4 years. :)

And I didn't think it was a big deal until one day when I posted a message on
the darkroom newsgroup asking question. Someone thought I had never used it
and replied with helpful suggestions for loading, then he said that's only
for loading orthochromatic films and that you must be a magician if you can
load panchromatic film into the reel in total darkness. I jokingly responded
"oh, I didn't realize that I had been a magician for 3 years!" :)

Cheers,
Dave S