Re: jobo 4x5 film reel

Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 22:01:34 -0700

I have been using the Jobo 4x5 reels with six pieces of film for about a
year now and it really is easy to load, in the dark, without the funky
flawless, evenly developed, and I have never had any problems. It is easy
to load the reel in the dark, but not easy to explain. Here is my attempt
at it.

I place the reel so that the clear end is on the left side when the reel is
lying down on a table. I take a sheet of film, place the notch in the upper
left hand corner when the film is held vertically, that is with the 4" side
facing away from my body and the 5" sides pointing towards my body. I
locate the sets of notches with my fingers, then I place the ends of the
film slightly against the first notches. I am listening and feeling for the
film to click past the first set of notches. I then click through the
second set of notches on both sides, until I arrive at the third set of
notches. This first piece of film get slid into this slot. I repeat the
procedure with the second piece of film to get it to the second notch, and
the third piece goes in the first notches. Then I rotate the unit to the
other side and repeat. The two V shaped dams get clicked in between the
ends of the film with the V pointing inward. At the start of the procedure,
in the light, I laid the two dams on the table with the V shape pointing
down. Again I listen and feel for both ends of the dam to click into place.
The central tube goes through the reel and it gets popped into the drum.
Easy, huh???. A little bit of practice will make this more apparent. Get
some dead sheets of 4x5 and go through this procedure first in the light,
then in the dark, then to regular film. If you load less than three sheets,
you should put film on both sides of the reel to balance it. Also, I always
fill the intermost spiral first and work my way out. The emulsion side of
the film should always face inward, towards the center of the reel. Good
luck.

Gary Miller