RE: Hand-Coloring hand-coated prints...help!

Christina Z. Anderson (tracez@mcn.net)
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 00:25:09 -0600

Dan,
     I do much hand coloring. I use Marshall Oils on gelatin silver paper; the gelatin protects the paper (archivally) from deterioration by the acids in the oils. I am not sure how this is with other papers; I have water colored palladiums and that works fine, and is archival. Of course, gum would provide the protective coating between the oils and paper, and perhaps platinum, etc. works the same way. Oil on straight ungessoed paper does deteriorate; maybe call Marshall's and see if they have some "shelf life" figure for you.
    I have 5 books on hand coloring; the one whose technique I use is James McKinnis's Handcoloring Photographs; it also has great examples of artists' works. And Marshall's Handcoloring Guide and Gallery is great also. There are others out there that are not worth buying.
Chris
----------
From: FDanB@aol.com[SMTP:FDanB@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 1999 1:59 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Hand-Coloring hand-coated prints...help!

When hand-coloring any of the hand-coated alt-photo processes, what are
the important things to do, use or remember?

For instance, should some kind of "pre-coat" be used to seal the
absorbent paper surface before applying the color? And are Marshall oils
the best way to go or are other methods known to work better?

I'm not expecting a full primer on the topic, just interested in the
obvious pitfalls (any of which would NOT be obvious to someone like me
who's never done it) before experimenting blindly.

Lastly, which of the books on hand-coloring are good ones for general
skills in this area? Do any of the books deal with hand-coated papers or
are they all assuming you're starting with a gelatin-coated silver paper?

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!

Dan