Re: jobo help

Larry Watson (larry@oreilly.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:40:43 -0700

Between the two camps of tray developers and tube developers,
I was wondering if anyone has tried the middel path of using tubes in
trays.

I recently saw an article by David Kachel in which he discribes
his process of developing large sheet film using open ended tubes
he rolls back and forth in large trays. (It sounded like this is what
Judy Seigel was doing in her comment on Jobos). He claims if you
are used to tray developing , it has the advantages of that process but
avoids any scratching or uneven development.

It's easy to change to different solutions if your developing process
requires it, and avoids having to pour liquid in the dark into small openings.
He uses different lengths of tube to indicate different times needed
in the developer. Of course it means you need to work in the dark the
same as with tray processing. It didn't sound as economical with
chemistry as closed tube processing, although one need not worry
about exhausting the small amount of chemistry in the closed tube.
But it would certianly be cheap, and he claims superlative results.

It sounds like he uses a large diameter tube, something like 12"
in an 11x14 tray, 12 litres of chemestry. After putting the tubes
in the fix, he removes the film and fixes further with hangers in tanks.

He does not mention using pyro in this way.

Has anyone tried this?
.

>Judy Seigel wrote
>To Matthew: My own "skills" with Jobo, such as they were, are long
>obsolete, but I note that the process I was using ultimately required
>SLOWER rotation than the slowest speed their mechanical motor could then
>provide. I put a marker on the tube & rolled by the clock... very tedious
>of course, but times for that film were only 5 minutes & I did 4 sheets at
>once.

Larry Watson
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
larry@oreilly.com