Re: film recorder/continuous-tone output quality query

Andy Darlow (andy@andydarlow.com)
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:12:48 +0000

Hi Doug:

You have many choices available to you to create prints for both an
exhibition and publication.

You can have direct BW negs output on a film recorder made by a number of
different companies.(The best are by Cymbolic Sciences (ie. Fire 1000 and
Kodak (LVT)).

The other possibility is to have images output to a less expensive machine
such as a Solitaire, which is a different technology, but acceptable for
smaller prints.

I'd recommend ganging up about 8 images on 1 8x10 and create 6x9cm
originals on the Fire or LVT. The file size should be just about right and
you can use greyscale or RGB, but check with the service provider on that.
You should pay no more than US$200 for an 8x10. Those originals should
yield gallery quality prints if done properly. At 6x9cm the file should be
about 1000ppi for best reults.

The highlights have a tendancy to blow out on even the best output devices,
so you may want to bring your highlights to something like 240, or do 2
different contrast ranges as a test to begin.

Best of luck with the project!

-Andy Darlow