Re: Densitometers

Joseph Arkins (arkins@banet.net)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:00:51 -0400

Apropos of visual comparison as a way of measuring density differences, I'd like
to point out that early densitometers did not use photoelectric cells, but rather
used an optical device that compared the segments on a circular transparent step
wedge with the area of the negative being measured. This process was used by the
early Kodak densitometers, and in my experience is rather accurate (using a
calibrated step tablet rather than a negative as the measured entity.) (I own a
1938 Kodak Model One densitometer, which is breakdown-proof and a joy to look at,
as well, what with its crackle finished metal and wood case). Since early color
photographers used this device to balance separation negatives (a fairly critical
application), this would suggest that they are quite accurate devices, indeed.

Joe Arkins
NY, NY