Re: Kodak Azo Paper Question

From: Les Newcomer (lnphoto@ismi.net)
Date: 04/05/00-08:57:55 PM Z

Janet,

These printers are one of those odd things in photography, that if purchased new would cost a bloodly
fortune, but used they are very cheap.

The company that made is was the Morse something or other in Ohio. The company is no longer around, but I
had a phone number of a guy that claimed to be what's left of the company. New bulbs are available from
him for $20 ea, he sells refurbished versions for over $2000.00 (so he claims)

There are two things to know about the printers. One, the printer works better with its original timer,
made by Lektra I think, It will only go up to 10 seconds, and uses vacuum tubes. Lektra is still around
and will sell you a similar timer ("the very best on the market" for around $500). The model I have ( a
civilian model in grey, not wrinkle paint black) has the plug in for either the timer or a normal
household plug so I could use a different timer.

The switches can be broken down into a couple of catagories. Most of the switches effect one bulb at a
time (there a 40 bulbs inside!) Off on the left side is a column of switches that will effect the bulbs in
a circular fashion (outside edges, down to a single bulb in the center). Then comes a switch each for
white light, safe light and one that turns all of the lights on.

The lights are argon and they burn purple/blue. Like a neon bulb these things last forever unless they get
broken.

If there is a problem with these it's the rubber bladder that is used as a pressure plate. Most are
rotten, patched and don't work. 10 years ago this guy would sell me a new one for $350 (they are molded,
so I couldn't just make do with sheet rubber.) I've know other photographers that have removed the rubber
and replaced it with some closed cell foam rubber and wood to fill the gap and make a nice firm backing.

I know you can't use VC paper with it unless you like your contacts on grade 6 paper. Other than that I
can't tell you about whether or not it will work with AZO. I used an Ilford graded RC paper (VERY hard to
find now).

If you want you can ask more questions off list, or on for that matter.

Les Newcomer