Re: Movie Camera

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04/08/00-12:41:14 AM Z

At 07:09 PM 04/07/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>HI Bob,
>
>to paraphrase "the Graduate"
>
>The the future is in the past and its on ebay. Not sure about prices
>for Bolex, I did the same thing with a Kodak Cine Special, bought it on
>ebay used it and sold it. I got more for the camera than I paid so the
>project cost me next to nothing-- a very rare situation in deed.
>
>les
>
>"Robert W. Schramm" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This College Photographer is in need of a 16mm movie camera for
>> a special project i.e putting movies in a time capsule. Can't use
>> mag tape you know. Also optical CDs are suspect. However, B&W
>> film good for at least 100 years. Kodachrome- probably 75 years.
>> Prefer a Bolex or equivalent.
>>
>> You can still get 16mm film and processing but can't go to your
>> local camera store and buy a movie camera any more. At least not
>> around here.
>>
>> Does anyone have one they want to part with? I've got money and
>> some stuff to trade.
>>
>> Does anyone know where I can look for something like this? Have
>> checked "Shutterbug" - no luck.
>>
>> Why didn't I think of this 35 years ago? Oh well, I still have my
>> Speed Graphic. ;-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob Schramm
>>
>> Check out my web page at:
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/schrammr1/schramm_studioa.htm
>>
>> also look at:
>>
>> http://www.wlsc.wvnet.edu/www/pubrel/photo.html

 Bell and Howell Filmo 70 Series cameras seem to be fairly plentiful both
at local shows and on eBay and seem to be pretty cheap. They are excellent
cameras. The movement has better registration than the Cine Special and
most other cameras without register pins. But, it must be kept scrupulously
clean. The TT&H and Bausch and Lomb lenses that were standard for them were
excellent. 16mm film and processing is easily available and not too dear.
  Speaking of motion picture film, I am convinced that when the Martian
archeologists dig us up in a couple of thousand years the only surviving
record of our culture will be a pit filled with I Love Lucy shows.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com