Re: Movie Camera

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04/08/00-04:10:02 PM Z

At 03:33 PM 04/08/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>> > This College Photographer is in need of a 16mm movie camera for
>> > a special project i.e putting movies in a time capsule. Can't use
>> > mag tape you know. Also optical CDs are suspect. However, B&W
>
>And how I wonder are the time capsulees going to play the movie -- run it
>past a digital scanner at 16 fps?
>
>(Sorry, but I put my grandfather's old 16 mm projector out on the street
>some 5 years ago -- yeah, it could have been a priceless artifact, but
>there's just so much detritus one can house beyond one's own artifacts...)
>
>best,
>
>Judy

   To take this seriously, the advantage of old fashioned technology like
movies is that you really don't need any special equipment to see what is
on the film. Maybe a magnifying glass.
   Mechanisms to show movies, viewers or projectors, are fairly simple. If
one was seriously intending to leave something for the far future the idea
would be to include either a viewer of some sort or plans for making one.
   If a digital record was left, magnetic or optical, it would require
having a much larger body of technology available to the ultimate viewer.
   I think the problem of archiving digital material is a very real one and
not likely to be solved in any satisfactory way until computer technology
reaches a more advanced level, maybe very much advanced, from where it is now.
  Even though we think of computers as very advanced stuff the very fact
that development continues at a rapid pace suggests we are still in the
pioneering period. I suspect that in ten or twenty years we will condsider
the computers we use now very crude stuff.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com