Re: Movie Camera

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 04/09/00-02:25:59 PM Z

As long as "off topic" items don't go on ad infinitum … buuuuut, so, in my mind
… he says ………

At some point in many folks who are greatly interested in photography there
comes a time when the "alternative" bug tweaks their mind. In my case it
diddled with my interests in toning, historical processes and motion.

In 1968 with a good friend, I walked the length of Grand Canyon. About 400
miles and six weeks. I thought it'd make me famous due to my photography of
this journey and therefore had my (only) camera rebuilt and spiffed up from the
ground up. Second day out it went kaput. BUT, I had brought along a Bell &
Howell 16 mm camera borrowed from my good friend, John Collier, one of the last
hired of the FSA photographers, who used it for ethnographic studies in the
field. John was also an anthropologist and, I think, coined the phrase, "visual
anthropology." The Bell & Howell had 3 lenses on a turret. There is a large key
on it and you wind it up and it run for a good number of seconds. I loved that
camera and the lenses were superb.

We were, as you can imagine, no place. It didn't matter, the camera was rugged,
simple and all you had to do was wind it up. Now, I consider that alternative
practice.

Jack Fulton