Re: life of images

From: Dan Smith, Photographer (shooter@brigham.net)
Date: 04/09/00-10:21:38 PM Z

Have you ever shot for National Geographic? A few thousand images & the
magazine picks what goes with the story line. No misuse of technology, just
the way they do business.

Shoot NFL games and you go through a lot of film and see 1-3 images used.

This is not 'shoot 200 & hope for the best' by any means. Often with sports
& photoessays there are many excellent images from which the final product
is chosen.

The original post was concerning the shooting of an event or story for full
coverage, the editors put one image in the paper or magazine, and since it
is digitally done, all but the archived one with the publication get erased.
Not at all like having contact sheets to pore over later as has been the
norm.

Dan Smith