Re: Carlton Watkins: collodion, albumen

From: MICHAEL STEINLE (MIKAD@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/10/00-08:43:39 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert W. Schramm" <schrammrus@hotmail.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Carlton Watkins: collodion, albumen

> I think the gentleman was confused. The plates have to be developed
> and fixed before the emulsion hardens. Collodian is basicly nitrocelluose
> i.e. a plastic and impervious to water when hardened.
> I suppose it would eventually deteriorate like old time movie film
> but certainly not for a while.
> The plate was coated with yhe collodian mix, dunked in silver nitrate
> solution, put in the camera while wet, exposed, developed and fixed right
> away. Hence the term "wet plate process."
> The prints were made later after the plate was dry.
>
> The process is described in "Keepers of Light."

Unlike the old movie film, the wet plate process doesn't use an emulsion but
a collodion film on a glass substrate. The final image was usually
varnished to protect it, and there are numerous examples over 140 years old
that have survived well. If the photographer wished to travel light, he
could, after development and water rinse, fix the plates back at his home
base by keeping the plates moist until then with no adverse effects.
                   Mike Steinle