Re: Kodak Azo Paper Question

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04/10/00-10:12:00 PM Z

At 03:14 PM 04/10/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Tom, I am interested in your seemingly contradictory
>statements that you print on Azo #2 and get better
>results than VC with a "0" grade filter... what is
>going on here to make that so? Of course, that 'grade'
>classification is variable and somewhat arbitrary is
>an infamous fact, and a difference of one whole grade
>is (reluctantly) understandable, but 0 and 2
>represents a 2 grade difference and you are still
>happier with the AZO 2...
>
>Do you have perhaps any old DATA sheets for AZO? I
>wish to take a look at their curves and other data,
>for the grades no longer available; 0, 4, & 5.
>
>Cheers,
>RM
  FWIW, I have data sheets from 1943 and 1946 for Azo. they are the same.
The contrast range for the various grades are about the same as for other
Kodak papers of the time. The curve for Azo is not much different from that
for Kodabromide enlarging paper.
  In the current Azo data sheet from the Kodak web site the contrast range
are again the same as for other Kodak paper with glossy surface. The curves
on this sheet are not as easily comparable to other current papers as are
those in the old Kodak Reference Handbook, but they really don't look much
different. The paper doesn't have a very extended toe or anything
outstanding like that.
  It should be kept in mind that a negative will print more contrsty on a
condenser enlarger than it will on a contact printer or diffusion enlarger.
The difference is about a paper grade. A negative which prints right on #2
paper on a condenser enlarger will need #3 paper to have the same contrast
when contact printed.
  Azo is a conventional chloride paper with nothing magic about it. I have
a number of old Kodak sample prints on Azo. It doesn't look different from
Velox, Kodak's photofinishing paper other than having a slightly more
neutral tone (Velox is quite blue-black).
  it suspect the differences noted by those trying Azo today have more to
do with differences in technique than anything the paper is doing.
  Also, chloride papers like Azo don't change contrast much with
development. They come up to full development (where the Dmax is reached)
and further development doesn't change them much. Development is complete
in Dektol 1:2 in just over a minute.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.