Re: colour neg scan

From: Gregory Parkinson (glp@panix.com)
Date: 04/11/00-04:49:50 AM Z

At 2:18 AM -0400 4/11/00, Sil Horwitz wrote:
>At 2000/04/11 06:12 AM +0200, you wrote:
>>really need help !
>>hope it's not off topic
>
>It is, but...
>
>>I have a big problem in scanning some Konica VX100 colour negatives, I have
>>never scanned any colour negs, I discovered it is really difficult, i get
>>blue or green colour. I am using a studio scan II si with transparency
>>module.
>
>What you need is a film scanner specifically made for slides and negatives.

That's the best, of course.

>When a negative is scanned (you set it for that) there is an electronic
>filter that "removes" the masked base color. Also, for decent scanning of
>color negatives, you need at least a 2400 ppi resolution, which reflection
>scanners can't do.

I have an Epson 1200U with a trasparency adapter that I am very happy
with. I scan mostly 120 negs but also scan Horizon pano 35mm negs and
at the highest resolution the quality is more than acceptable.

>The lowest price film scanner that I know of is the
>Hewlett-Packard SmartScan which sells for about $500 U.S. It will do 35mm
>slides and negatives up to 6x9 cm. It's the one I use, and I'm very
>satisfied with it.

Do you know what the resolution is? Also, I don't believe that this scanner
will work with a Mac.