Re: Kodak Azo Paper Question

From: Richard Maddox (slow_emulsions@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 04/11/00-08:12:49 AM Z

Uh,
Do you have the sheets for grades '0', '4' and '5'?
these are the ones I am missing. Since it was '43-'46
that you mentioned, perhaps the curves for all 6
grades are on one data sheet.(?)

"...the old Kodak Reference Handbook",
Is this the title? When was it published?
Is it the same thing as the Kodak Data Guide?

--- Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> It should be kept in mind that a negative will
> print more contrasty on a
> condenser enlarger than it will on a contact printer
> or diffusion enlarger.
> The difference is about a paper grade. A negative
> which prints right on #2
> paper on a condenser enlarger will need #3 paper to
> have the same contrast
> when contact printed.

Good point.

But would you really expect to see the same amount of
contrast loss with the contact printer? Perhaps so, I
just thought the contact print would have a bit more
contrast than the diffusion enlargement....
My powers of reasoning are on strike most of the time,
so would you entertain this purely theoretical
question...how does contrast change with increasing
enlarging distance? I am thinking that it must
decrease, since there is light loss from both
highlight and shadow areas, but once the shadows are
depleted, contrast has no where to go except down.

If this is so, is it an issue someone enlarging would
ever have to deal with? Perhaps some one who has made
a number of very small and very large prints from the
same negative would have noticed if contrast was
affected or not.

Does your information hint at any difference between
earlier AZO version(s) and the AZO available today?
I belive what I might have been thinking... was that
perhaps AZO has changed over this century, growing in
speed and perhaps with changes in its contrast...
reflecting changes in the type of negatives which were
being made....

Just curious,

RM.