Re: tintype question

From: MICHAEL STEINLE (MIKAD@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/11/00-06:11:57 PM Z

tintype question
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: david lawrence
  To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
  Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 4:54 PM
  Subject: tintype question

    hi-

    I was wondering if anyone knows what is being used to coat the metal plate prior to the emulsion in order to make it black.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    The sheet metal plates that were used in the 19th century were blackened by japaning which was not a laquer but an asphalt base coating that was baked on in an oven. There were other products of the period such as wash basins that had this type of coating. I know of people that have tried to use black paint, laquer, or black urethane paint on the plates for the wet collodion process to make tintypes and have had no success. The images appeared to have a fog or haze. The asphalt base coating seems to be the only thing that works well.
                                                           Mike Steinle