Re: Ferric Oxalate search continued

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/13/00-02:41:03 PM Z

Tony McLean wrote:
> ... It would not be a good idea to
> disolve f.o. in boiling water. This could lead to part conversion from
> ferric to ferrous oxalate.

I have also observed this convertion with heat. FO will convert with
exposure, time, or heat. It is best to mix the FO at ambient
temperature and shake occationally for 24 hours. It is suggested to
NEVER heat or microwave the FO solution. Solutions under a strength of
30% should disolve completly in 24 hours. Stronger solutions may take
several days.

You should determine your own Threshold for the materials you are
using. My Threshold analysis for B&S FO powder indicates to mix it at
26% to 27%. It is suggested to add Oxalic Acid, a strength of 3% (0.75
grams per 25 ml) should be more than enough as the B&S FO powder may
already contain some Oxalic Acid. Also, it is suggested to add the EDTA
(CAS# 60-00-4) at a strength of 1% (0.25 grams per 25 ml) to assist with
clearing.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/