Re: Ferric Oxalate and microwaves

From: Stephen Harrison (SH@stephenharrison.com)
Date: 04/14/00-03:54:57 PM Z

>Nick Makris wrote:
>> ... I found the best
>> way was to buy FO powder that readily dissolves in boiling distilled water.
>
>Tony McLean wrote:
>> ... It would not be a good idea to
>> disolve f.o. in boiling water. This could lead to part conversion from
>> ferric to ferrous oxalate.
>
>I have also observed this convertion with heat. FO will convert with
>exposure, time, or heat. It is best to mix the FO at ambient
>temperature and shake occationally for 24 hours. It is suggested to
>NEVER heat or microwave the FO solution.

I must confess that I do microwave my ferric oxalate for 18 seconds. The
key for me is filtering the result with a #2 Whatman filter in a flask
filter. For the first time in my life, I have very few problems with my
ferric oxalate. It seems to work well. Skies are clean and without pits.

Stephen Harrison