Re: chemical chaos

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/15/00-09:22:43 PM Z

At 2000/04/15 07:54 PM -0700, Joe Portale wrote:
>I do not believe that there is any difference between glycin and glycine.
>You can check the CAS number to be certain they are the same.

As was mentioned before, these are totally different materials. It is
unfortunate the names are so close. Glycine (with an "e") is an amino acid
found in living materials, and can be found in gelatin. Glycin (without
the "e") normally is not a pure white powder, and oxidizes to a brown
material, so it's usually sort of cream color. An easy way to make sure
which you can have is to dissolve the powder (glycin is usually in shiny
flakes, incidentally) in an alkaline solution (like sodium carbonate); the
photo glycin will turn the solution brown after a short period (blowing air
through it will hasten the reaction). Glycine will not change color. If the
label shows the registry number, photo Glycin is 122-87-2, while glycine is
56-40-6.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org