Re: chemical chaos

From: Libby Young (jumpstart@e-mg.co.za)
Date: 04/17/00-10:08:24 AM Z

>As was mentioned before, these are totally different materials. It is
>unfortunate the names are so close. Glycine (with an "e") is an amino acid
>found in living materials, and can be found in gelatin. Glycin (without
>the "e") normally is not a pure white powder, and oxidizes to a brown
>material, so it's usually sort of cream color. An easy way to make sure
>which you can have is to dissolve the powder (glycin is usually in shiny
>flakes, incidentally) in an alkaline solution (like sodium carbonate); the
>photo glycin will turn the solution brown after a short period (blowing air
>through it will hasten the reaction). Glycine will not change color. If the
>label shows the registry number, photo Glycin is 122-87-2, while glycine is
>56-40-6.

Yep, I definitely have the wrong chemical -- all part of the learning
experience I suppose. Comforting to know some other people thought they
were the same thing too -- certainly confusing for the non-chemist!

Has anyone experimented with hydroquinone-based developers, without any
other developing agent?? I have a couple of recipes that I'm fiddling with,
but would love to compare notes.
Libby Young
http://www.mg.co.za/mg/za1/jump.html
jumpstart@e-mg.co.za