TWO POINTS FOR LINE

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 04/17/00-09:06:20 AM Z

DEAR JACK & LIST,
    While I agree that some forms of photographic education can inhibit
breadth of exploration I believe that a good study of background, done with
an open minded teacher and open minded students (big "ifs" here) can often
help the student proceed more quickly through the evolutionary re-invention
of the wheel and proceed in to new realms more quickly with a definite sense
that they are clearly working on something new, even in an older medium.
Often I seen people stuck in modes, whether they are alt or "factory"
photography, thinking that they are on to something new when it has been
done...and done...and often done better.
    I am not saying we should obsess on the past but some knowledge of the
workers before us can help us draw a line (however arabesque) from them
through our present culture (which, as you most aptly stated, necessitates a
consciousness of contemporary culture and work) and into new directions and
areas for exploration.
    I have never been able to accept the, "You don't need to know that"
philosophy. I am incurable curious. I know what it did to the cat but
don't forget the other half, "Satisfaction brought him back!"
                                        CHEERS!
                                            BOB KISS