Re: TWO POINTS FOR LINE

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/17/00-09:13:44 PM Z

I don't know how this thread got onto the alt-photo list -- it's been out
of control on the history list, where a couple of REALLY patronising
fellas seemed to be saying it's OK for us to know photo history but the
students shouldn't bother their pretty little heads about it. So I take
this opportunity to say, thank you Bob... and to repeat a few of his lines
up front, because they say it absolutely & succinctly:

======================
quote:

> Often I see people stuck in modes, whether they are alt or "factory"
> photography, thinking that they are on to something new when it has been
> done...and done...and often done better.
> I am not saying we should obsess on the past but some knowledge of
the
> workers before us can help us draw a line (however arabesque) from them
> through our present culture (which, as you most aptly stated,
necessitates a
> consciousness of contemporary culture and work) and into new directions
and
> areas for exploration.

And here's Bob's entire ....