Re: cyanotype sensitivity

From: Gwen Walstrand (gwalstra@lib.drury.edu)
Date: 04/17/00-02:32:38 PM Z

Sarah and Judy,
Thanks! This is helping tremendously in figuring out this problem.

Today in class, a student brought in eight or ten cyanotypes she made with
sun exposure in about 15 to 20 minutes each. This is the same solution that
we use with the UV light source (metal halide) which takes about one hour
to expose properly. Perhaps the bulb is dimming with age? We use the
traditional formula that is listed in Bea Nettles book. Our light source
works wonderfully for all the other processes and is a replacement for an
old flourescent tube system that seemed to cause so much waiting.

The paper we use varies, but our best results are on Stonehenge and Arches
papers. I'll test some others.

Judy, I'm curious what recipe you use for cyanotype? And what light source?
Sounds like the sun is hard to beat.

Gwen